Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Is this Cold??

ice in a bucket

Still waiting for Snow to fall. For some reason the cold is not affecting me too much this year, maybe the lack of wind has something to do with it.

Just last night I talked to my mother and we were talking about the weather. She was telling me about when my sister and I were just wee little ones and lived in Kansas. My sister was less than two years old and I was less than four. We lived on a farm that my dad and mom ran for another gentleman. They had to work the farm and make sure the animals were fed and all the other farm chores were taken care of. First thing in the mornings they had to take the feed truck out to the feed bins and fill the bins for the cattle. Mom said they always filled the truck at night so it was ready to go in the morning. She said she bundled us kids up one morning and put us in the truck, then she had to take the tractor and pull the truck to start it. Dad drove us out into the field where the feed bins were and got out to make sure the feed was filling the bins right while mom drove the truck. Well they finished and took us back to the house and dad and mom were listening to the radio, when the broadcaster came on and said that the weather that day was one of the coldest days they had in recent memory. He went on to say that it was so cold and the wind chill was so bad that they were advising people to stay in the house and not go outside for any reason. My dad turned to my mom and said that he wished they had told him that before they went out in the weather and did their chores. Mom said she did not think about how cold it was, she just bundled us up like she always did and away we went. Back then we went everywhere that they went, no matter what the weather was.

No comments: