Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Arkansas



My mom sent me a website about Arkansas, the state that my dad and her were born in. She also sent a little note about how she was feeling after watching the movie on the website. The red car in the movie was like the one that my dad owned when they were dating, and she was reliving the memories of the fun times they had together and shedding a few tears. Well just a little way into the movie and I was shedding a few tears myself. And the car did look like the one in this picture of him and his car. This picture was taken in 1950 and it is a 1930 A-Model red convertible with a rumble seat. It was his first car that he bought. He bought this car when he was 16 from money he saved from working the peach orchards and doing a paper route for the Little Rock, Arkansas paper. He said the route was 60 miles on weekdays and 120 miles long on Sundays. After he got this car the paper route was cut back to just a Sunday delivery, so he would drive 60 miles and his dad would drive the other 60 miles. They would arrive back home in time to go to Church, something they could not miss.

Thanks for reminding me what a treasure he was Mom!

2 comments:

Morgaine said...

How very neat! I love to dig into the family archives, too. It is such a special feeling.

Carol said...

Isn't it great that when our loved ones leave this earth our memories do not go with them. I really feel that when the tears come there is more healing and acceptance of their passing. It's great you have such wonderful memories of your Dad, RTHDE. Memories keep them alive in our hearts as he is alive in yours..